We can maximize the performance of your building through its envelope
Salas O’Brien works with architects and construction professionals to design building envelopes that are energy-efficient, structurally sound, moisture resistant, and durable.
Also known as the building enclosure, the “physical separator between the conditioned and unconditioned environment”, the building envelope plays a vital role in any comfortable and safe building. All buildings whether new or existing need to ensure that the building envelope is functioning correctly to ensure maximum comfort, energy efficiency, and asset life expectancy. Salas O’Brien can assist you in maximizing the performance of your building through your building’s envelope.
Building Envelope Projects
What we can offer
From initial consultation to full specification and construction facilitation, we offer a complete array of services, including the development of advanced and often groundbreaking solutions when conventional approaches can’t deliver quality results.
Roofing and waterproofing
Salas O’Brien offers expertise in all types of roofing and waterproofing systems, including specialized expertise in condensation, cold storage, moisture surveys, wind damage resolution, below-grade waterproofing, drainage concerns, hygrothermal analysis (WUFI), and rooftop solar PV.
On new development and construction projects, Salas O’Brien collaborates with design teams to provide:
- Conceptual design consulting.
- Reviews for architectural documents, specifications, submittals, and construction documents.
- Provide design drawings and submittal sections.
- We confront challenges, track and ensure disputes are resolved, and provide helpful feedback from design through construction. Following completed installations, we employ industry-standard testing methods to confirm and verify the performance meets the desired criteria.
Salas O’Brien provides oversight during construction to ensure that the building envelope components are installed properly in accordance with the construction documents. Our CA services provide clients a safeguard by resolving issues in the field during construction. We provide:Submittal/shop drawing review
- Respond to requests for information (RFI)
- Pre-installation meeting coordination
- Installation monitoring
Forensic investigation for existing buildings
Salas O’Brien diagnoses problems with existing building envelopes and conducts forensic investigations to identify the root cause of building envelope failures. During occupancy/operation and at times of maintenance and repair, we use cutting-edge investigation and forensic tools to evaluate the condition and serviceability of your components. We support property acquisition, correction for failing systems, litigation support, and insurance services.
Repair, remediation, rehab, or restoration
Salas O’Brien can provide guidance for rehabilitation of curtain walls, masonry, and windows, and we use the latest techniques and technologies to help your building reach maximum efficiency. Additionally, we provide comprehensive roof review and rehabilitation services to help you maintain the integrity of your building’s envelope.
Our field-testing services are an integral part of our building envelope consulting, ensuring your building envelope components perform as designed and in accordance with applicable industry standards::
- Diagnostic Tools and Methodologies: Utilize state-of-the-art equipment to conduct thorough evaluations, capturing real-world performance data of the building envelope.
- Air and Water Permeability Tests: Assess the envelope’s resistance to air and water infiltration, which is crucial for maintaining indoor environmental quality and building durability.
- Thermal Imaging: Employ advanced thermal imaging techniques to analyze insulation effectiveness, identifying areas of thermal bridging or insulation gaps.
- Structural Integrity Assessments: Conduct detailed tests to evaluate the strength and durability of the building envelope components, ensuring they meet the highest safety and performance standards.
This comprehensive approach not only aids in addressing potential issues promptly but also contributes to the building’s energy efficiency, environmental sustainability, and overall comfort for occupants.
Our lab-testing services offer a rigorous, controlled environment to thoroughly evaluate the performance of building envelope components, utilizing industry-recognized AAMA and ASTM testing methods within our ISO 17025 certified laboratory.
Salas O’Brien’s team of experts will use advanced software tools to model the building’s energy consumption and evaluate its performance identifying opportunities for energy savings and efficiency improvements.
Hazardous material sampling (lead and asbestos)
Salas O’Brien can assess your building to identify any areas where hazardous materials may be present. Once the testing results are available, we will work with you to develop a comprehensive plan to address any hazardous materials.
Building Envelope Commissioning (BECx)
Salas O’Brien performs commissioning services to verify that the building envelope functions properly and meets performance requirements. Whether a new or existing building, our commissioning agents find practical and effective solutions to optimize your building performance.