PCI Joins Salas O’Brien
PCI and Salas O’Brien have joined forces, broadening the scope of PCI’s services and offering its expertise to Salas O’Brien clients throughout North America.
Specializing in mechanical & electrical engineering, industrial process, civil engineering, structural engineering, automation & controls, and architecture, PCI strengthens our expertise and experience in markets such as industrial, power, pharmaceutical, food & beverage, metals, and chemicals & plastics.
The Evansville, Indiana, office will continue serving clients under the leadership of Scott Albin and will keep all regional decision-making and local accountability while experiencing the growth and resources of a larger engineering firm.
About PCI, a Salas O’Brien Company
PCI is a multi-discipline design firm born out of a construction company. They’re a valued supplier of engineering services to the national power and industrial markets.
Their expertise lies in a wide range of industries and strengthens our ability to provide the best value with customized solutions that support the success of our clients.
Since 1972, PCI has been a valued supplier of design services to the national power and industrial markets. Our people develop well-planned solutions for our customer’s capital projects and maintenance needs, and we have an extensive portfolio in:
- Chemical, Plastics, Oil, and Gas
- Food & Beverage
PCI is a leading design partner to the chemical, plastics, oil and gas industries, serving the Midwest for several decades. From refineries to engineered resin manufacturers, we have completed projects of all sizes and complexities. Attention to detail is crucial for a successful partnership. Providing innovative solutions for your most complex projects is at the forefront of our processes.
Our service capabilities include:
- Existing process evaluation
- Concept and planning
- Production of fabrication and construction documents
- Construction management services
From power generation stations and substations, to water and wastewater systems, we have completed projects of all sizes and complexities. Attention to detail is crucial to being a successful partner. Providing innovative solutions for your most complex projects is at the forefront of our processes.
Water and Wastewater
With a diverse team of engineers, designers, project and construction management professionals, we strive to be a leader in our industry. Our experienced professionals have managed all facets of projects from initial development, to detailed concepts and design, on site resources during execution and multiple services during start-up and commissioning.
We provide all types of civil, mechanical, process, electrical, automation and construction services for the water and wastewater industry from small municipalities to supporting major metropolitan installations including:
- Combined sewer overflow facilities
- Heavy structural concrete
- Hydroelectric plants
- Lift stations
- Membrane-lined impoundments
- Pump stations
- Solids handling facilities
- Underground utilities
- Water and wastewater treatment plants including membrane, ultraviolet and conventional treatment processes
PCI provides turn-key solutions with the highest level of flexibility, integrated engineering, procurement and construction services to power generation facilities throughout the U.S.
We provide a full range of civil, structural, mechanical and electrical services well suited to fit projects varying in both size and complexity. With a diverse team of engineers, designers, project and construction management professionals, we strive to be a leader in our industry. Our experienced professionals have managed all facets of projects from initial development, to detailed concepts and design, on site resources during execution and multiple services during start-up and commissioning.
PCI has implemented a wide range of power generation projects of varying complexity. We’ve developed a strong reputation for engineering excellence and hands-on technical experience. Our credentials, culture, past successes and financials provide clients with a powerful resource and highly qualified team.
- Medium voltage
- Motor control
- Switch yard
- Process controls
- DCS upgrades
- Boiler upgrades
- Power, water and environmental
- Ash handling
- Water treatment
- Process piping
- Drives and actuators
- Pumps and valves
- Building design/architecture
- Lifting plans
- Foundation design
- Piping supports
- Power distribution centers
PCI has served as a leading engineering partner to the manufacturing industry for several decades. We understand the complex requirements and systems associated with manufacturing work. Providing innovative solutions for your most complex projects is at the forefront of our processes.
Our capabilities include “Balance of Plant” design services for clients who desire to design their own processes and need design assistance associated with their site, building, utilities and process interconnections.
In addition, we provide automation, conveyance and packaging systems, and high voltage electrical systems design. We also offer Design-Build or EPC project delivery if desired, providing a single point of contact for your project, reducing your internal project management burden, and reducing the duration of your schedule.
PCI has served as a leading engineering partner to the metals industry for several decades, and we understand the complex requirements and systems associated with heavy industrial equipment and processes. Providing innovative solutions for your most complex projects is at the forefront of our processes.
Our capabilities include Balance of Plant (BoP) design services for clients that want to design their own processes yet need design assistance associated with their site, building, utilities and process interconnections.
In addition, we can provide the design of automation, conveyance and packaging systems, as well as high voltage electrical systems. We also offer Design-Build or EPC project delivery if desired, providing a single point of contact for your project, reducing your internal project management burden and reducing the duration of your schedule.
In addition to our core engineering services, our industry specific capabilities include:
- Mill coolant systems
- Material handling
- Equipment supplier evaluation
- Feasibility studies
- Automation strategy development and implementation
- Material flow simulation
- Automated surface inspection
PCI’s multidisciplinary staff provides complete design services for the pharmaceutical industry from concept, planning, and justification, through start-up and commissioning.
We understand the complex requirements and systems associated with the industry. Providing innovative solutions for your most complex projects is at the forefront of our processes.
In addition to our core engineering services, our industry specific capabilities include:
- Weigh and dispensing
- Bin charging
- Bin blending
- Roller compaction
- Aqueous and active coating
- Tablet printing
- Material handling
- BSL – 1,2,3
- Pilot manufacturing
cGMP HVAC Clean Room Systems (ISO C/D)
BAS – Building Automation Systems
PAS – Process Automation Systems
IOQ – Commissioning and Qualification
- Bottle filling
- Solutions handling
- Bag filling
- Purified water
- Clean steam
- UV sanitation
- Powder blending
Our multi-disciplinary staff provides complete design services from concept, planning and justification, through start-up and commissioning.
PCI’s projects range in scope from small capital improvements to major capital expansions and greenfield projects. We have developed a reputation for engineering excellence, hands-on technical experience, and constructability.
We also offer Design-Build project delivery if desired, providing a single point-of-contact for your project with a higher level of internal coordination. We’ll reduce your internal project management burden and schedule duration.
Equipment Vendor Experience
- Douglas Machine – case packers
- Kaufmann – robotic case packers
- Arpac – case packers
- Douglas Machine – case packers, cartoners
- RA Jones – cartoners
- Nercon – conveyance
- Arrowhead – conveyance
- Krones – conveyance
- Ryson – spiral accumulators
- Ambaflex – accumulators
- Garvey – accumulators
- BW – conveyance
- Hartness – accumulators
- Hytrol – case conveyance
- Ambec/Adapta – FIFO accumulation (First In First Out)
Shrink Bundlers and Wrappers
- Douglas Machine – shrink wrappers
- Arpac – shrink bundlers
- Pester – shrink bundlers
- PE – Labelers (Roll and Cut and Stack)
- Weiler – labelers
- Krones –labelers
- Label Aire
- Fuji – shrink sleeve labeling
- BW Accraply – labeler
- Krones – depalletizer
- Busse – depalletizer
- Bonfiglioli – high speed vacuum seal inspection
- Taptone – pressure and audible seal inspection
- Movitherm – thermal seal inspection
- Sightech – thermal seal inspection
- RA Jones – high speed rotary sealing
- Fords – high speed rotary sealing
- Enercon – bottle sealer
Product Rejection or Lane Dividers
- Heuft – finger rejection or lane dividers
- Taptone – finger rejection
- Peco – rejecters
- PS Angelus – cappers
- Zalkin/Fowler – cappers
- JBT – can seamer
- PS Angelus – can seamers and can end feeders
Retort and Sterilization
- Allpax – retort and sterilization
- Stork – sterilizers
- All-Fill –powder fillers
- PLF – powder fillers
- Spee-Dee – powder fillers
- JBT/FMC – liquid filler
- Krones – liquid fillers
- Nalbach – powder fillers
- Premier Tech/Vongal – palletizers robotic and high style
- Kaufmann – robotic palletizers
- Columbia – high and low style palletizers
- Arrowhead – Priority Pal
- ESS Technologies – Robotic Palletizing
- Lantech – stretch wrappers and stretch hooders
- Wulftec – stretch wrappers
- Kaufmann – stretch wrappers
- Pace – bottle orienters
- Nalbach – bottle orienters
- Mettler Toledo
- Mettler Toledo – safeline and metal detection
- Thermo Ramsey
Powder Handling Systems
- National Bulk Equipment (NBE) – powder handling systems
- Powder Process Solutions (PPS) – powder handling systems
- Evaporator Drying Technologies (EDT) – powder dryer
- Video Jet
- ID Tech
- Label Aire
Our service capabilities include facility evaluation, concept and planning, production of construction documents and construction administration services. Our design process allows you to evaluate the design as it progresses, providing you the assurance that our design will meet your needs.
We also offer Design-Build and EPC project delivery options, providing a single point of contact for your project, reducing your internal project management burden, and reducing the duration of your schedule.
Workspace and Facility Design
PCI provides full-service engineering and architectural services for a wide range of industries.
Our interdisciplinary approach and coordination of experienced professionals provides innovative and coordinated “best value” solutions for building and site development projects. We design with budget and schedule requirements in mind while cognizant of constructability, maintenance, safety, code requirements and the environment.show more
We utilize laser scanning and BIM technology in our designs, delivering value through project cost savings and improved construction efficiency to our clients. Our services can support project needs from the initial conceptual stages through move-in and commissioning.show less
Instrumentation, Controls & Automation
The collective expertise, resources, and experience of PCI’s diverse group of engineers, programmers, and designers enable our team to efficiently serve the unique needs of your project from concept through implementation. Our team is committed to meeting today’s aggressive project schedules while maintaining unsurpassed quality control of our deliverables.show more
PCI has broad software development and automation capabilities allowing us to architect solutions that empower you to:
- Integrate your front-office systems with the plant floor
- Manage and analyze process data
- Meet regulatory requirements
- Collaborate with co-workers and customers
- Monitor your operations in real-time
- Control your processes
As a certified Microsoft partner, in conjunction with PCI’s and Salas O’Brien’s other services, we can provide complete, turn-key control, automation and IT solutions for your organization. We have the expertise to design and program PLC and DCS based systems and have alliance agreements with Emerson, Honeywell and Allen Bradley/Rockwell, along with and extensive Emerson DeltaV and Ovation system experienceshow less
Process Mechanical Analysis and Engineering
Our experienced professionals and innovation are at the forefront of the industry.show more
We analyze and design reliable and efficient processes with cost, schedule, constructability, maintenance, safety and the environment in mind. And our services can support projects from the initial planning stages through start-up and commissioning.show less
Power Distribution Systems
Our goal is to assist our clients in developing solutions for each of their unique needs.show more
We provide full-service Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) solutions to a wide range of facility power and energy related projects with a special emphasis on substations, transformers, medium and low switchgear, Motor Control Centers (MCC’s), relaying and prefabricated electrical equipment.
We are a forward thinking consulting engineering firm and have developed a strong reputation for engineering excellence. PCI has hands-on technical experience and a passion for solving our clients’ power distribution, power quality and emergency/back-up power generation issues safely, on-time and within budget.show less
We provide turn-key solutions for a diverse set of clients. Our work includes building, equipment, and site development.show more
We design with budget and schedule requirements in mind and are considerate of constructability, maintenance, safety and code requirements. Our services can support project needs from their initial conceptual stages through commissioning and qualifications.show less
Prefabricated Modular Skids
We built our first prefabricated modular skid in 2003. Today we continue to maximize design concepts and offerings, and improve capacity, delivery times and quality.show more
Our goal is to leverage our engineering capabilities, procurement services and affiliation with inner company fabrication and construction divisions to provide our clients with a value-added solution that meets their project needs. Typically each unit is customized to the intended application.show less
We began incorporating 3D laser scanning into our design processes in 2015, benefitting our clients in a variety of ways.show more
- The ability to view and evaluate our design as it progresses in the existing setting and consider design options, reducing the risk associated with customer directed changes during construction when changes are costly and can affect the schedule.
- Design coordination and design accuracy that improves construction bids, planning and installation, saving our customers money and time.
- Reduction in time and effort needed to develop a design solution, by providing accurate and complete existing conditions.
- Less time required to collect site conditions, reducing the number of needed trips to the site and the time spent on site to collect information.
- Safe collection of site conditions that are not accessible using traditional site measuring methods.
In addition to design engineering, PCI provides economical mechanical integrity, asset management and reliability engineering services.show more
This is accomplished by utilization of industry best practices and industry leading engineering design, analysis and maintenance management software packages using certified API Inspectors (510, 653, 570).show less
We offer fully integrated project controls services. From concept to completion, we can assist you in defining, quantifying, and tracking your project.show more
We specialize in Earned Value Management, Scheduling, Risk Identification and Management, Capital Cost Estimating, and Procurement and Expediting. We have the versatility to develop tools to support any project.show less
3D Construction Coordination / Virtual Construction
3D construction coordination is the process of virtually constructing a project in a 3D model to identify and resolve potential constructability issues, conflicts and missing details before cost overruns and project delays occur at the jobsite.show more
Our service options include:
- Virtual model generation – architectural, structural, mechanical and electrical
- Clash detection and coordination
- Creation and management of RFIs (Request For Information)
- Prefabrication drawings
- Bill of materials/material take-offs
- Coordinate point layout for supports and anchors
- MEP work packages
Owner’s Representative / Owner’s Engineer
In today’s lean business environment, many organizations lack the internal resources or project management expertise to manage all aspects of capital investment projects.show more
Our depth of knowledge from both design/engineering and construction perspectives, enables our team to successfully deliver projects while maintaining the client’s primary goals and objectives. We coordinate all aspects of your projects with an emphasis on effective communication and teamwork to assure they are within budget and on schedule.show less
With a background in both design and construction management, PCI is able to offer preconstruction services during the design phases of your project, supporting your project justification processes and planning.show more
Our preconstruction services are customized for your specific project and can include a Total Installed Cost (TIC) estimate or construction estimate, a detailed or milestone project schedule and a project execution plan outlining the execution strategy for the remainder of the project.show less
Arc Flash Hazard Analysis
Since the early 2000’s PCI has performed power system studies including arc flash hazard analysis. This important study allows clients to see a full evaluation of their electrical distribution system. This evaluation is used for proper equipment sizing, coordination for reliability and provides the necessary safety information allowing employers and employees to protect themselves when exposed to energized equipment.show more
Increased government regulations, new research discoveries relating to electrical hazards, more advanced engineering tools and improved Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) have combined to increase the need for improved safety in the design, operation and maintenance of a modern utility and industrial electrical power system.
Completing a power system study for electrical distribution provides our clients with the ability to fully evaluate their electrical infrastructure system as well as provide a safe work environment for their employees.show less
- Major expansion of rolling mill facility
- New cold mill and associated ancillary equipment
- Annealing furnaces
- Automated coil handling
- FEL 3 Engineering study
- Basic engineering
- Project execution plan including scheduling and cost estimates
- Utilized subject matter experts
- Project execution
- Complete facility expansion engineering and detailed design
- Full construction management, scheduling, project controls
Provided the specification and procurement of the Motor Control Center, 600HP VFD and miscellaneous electrical panels early on in the project to avoid schedule impacts associated with manufacturing.
The team coordinated Factory Acceptance Testing of the major electrical equipment and is overseeing the on-site start-up and commissioning services that are being performed by the equipment OEM.
- Designed complete replacement of a WFI storage and distribution system consisting of 144,000 gallons of storage, four new silos, four primary, and three secondary recirculation loops designed to be fully redundant to ensure operations of the 24/7 operations and sanitization requirements
- Conceptual development through detailed design for all civil, architectural, structural, process, HVAC, plumbing, building electrical, and process power systems
Chemicals & Plastics
- Provided design and procurement support for the new chilled water plant including
- Equipment specifications
- The chillers were replaced sequentially. With each existing chiller removal, a temporary chiller was brought online and a replacement chiller was installed.
- Production risk was further mitigated by installing piping and electrical tie-in’s during prior production outages. Despite these challenges, the project was completed on schedule and under budget.
- 81,000-square-foot expansion
- Multi-level addition connecting existing mixing building
- Two-story mixing lines
- Exterior substation
- New oil tank farm with containment for six 10,000-gallon oil tanks
Power & Utilities
- Fieldwork, engineering, and procurement of Unit 3 and Unit 4 Motor Control Centers (MCC) for their four-unit generating station
- Work completed the multi-year capital plan to replace the unit-specific MCC’s throughout the site
- Upgraded/replaced-in-place 10 MCC’s consisting of 70 total vertical sections
- The Unit 4 replacement/upgrade consisted of upgrading/replacing-in-place 18 MCC’s consisting of 86 total vertical sections
Food & Beverage
- 53,000-square-foot building addition for a cGMP powder packaging line
- Designed, specified, and procured process, packaging, and facility equipment for the building addition, additional warehousing space, new shipping and receiving area, and provided modifications to the existing facility
- Conceptual and preliminary design, equipment specification, development of testing documents, start-up and commissioning, qualification testing
- Fabrication of piping systems, installation of valves, instrumentation, structural steel, and stainless steel piping and supports, agitator installations, pumps, HVAC equipment, and critical utility systems
- Installation of raceways, conduit cable trays, cabling systems, fiber optic communications, and control wiring, lighting
- Multi-use gymnasium with basketball courts, volleyball courts, pickleball courts and elevated running track
- Six-lane 25 meter lap pool with viewing area and associated equipment rooms
- Community outreach spaces
- Cardiovascular exercise and dead-weight lifting areas
- Separate studio spaces for cycling, aerobics, hot yoga, and aerial yoga
- Administrative corporate offices
- Ascension St. Vincent healthcare clinic
20 N.W. 1st Street, Suite 400
Evansville, IN 47708