Their challenge

Northwestern’s 20-acre, lakefront Chicago campus is home to the university’s management, law, and medical schools and the School of Continuing Studies. Among the first structures built on the downtown campus in 1926 was Wieboldt Hall, a home for the School of Commerce funded by William and Anna Wieboldt, German immigrants and self-made retail magnates whose son went on to oversee construction on over a thousand structures across the city, including Shedd Aquarium. In 2008 the historic Wieboldt Hall underwent a major renovation, and the university needed a trustworthy engineering partner to ensure the project’s success.

Our solution

Salas O’Brien served as the engineering consultant for a phased renovation of the hall. The project included design for new infrastructure throughout the building to support the renovations. Our team enabled the replacement of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems with updated, efficient systems for new, state-of-the-art classrooms and collaboration spaces.